Tuesday, October 27, 2015

There is Not Much of A Difference Between You and I (and sometimes, we are the same)

I have a confession. I have worked at the care center for nearly three months now, and I have noticed that I am developing a new attitude. A disturbing new attitude. 

I am starting to see our clients as being different than me, somehow below me. We discuss their problems in shift report, and I look at these struggling people and I confuse them with their struggle. It is getting to the point where, when I look at a client, I see an illness, a crisis, more than a person. As my mental health is currently awesome, I am slowly forgetting (thank God) what it is like to be hopeless. What it is like to be needy. What it is like to be in crisis. 

Sometimes, I even view a client's behavior as being manipulative, and I get mad at them! I used to hate it when I heard about mental health professionals labeling hurting patients as manipulative and then giving them subpar care...and now, I am becoming one of those professionals myself.

I need to stop this, clearly. And I will. I am aware that my current attitude towards our clients goes against my values, and I am committed to viewing every single person I care for as a beloved child of God, rather than a diagnosis.

Unfortunately, the attitude I am developing runs rampant in mental health care. I have run across many, many professionals like this. Many of my past therapists (along with every psychiatrist I have ever had) insist that I call them Dr. So and So. They refuse to be on a first-name basis with their patients, to be human with them. 

I've had therapists ignore my symptoms. I've had professionals tell me that I was not experiencing the emotions that I was, or that I was experiencing emotions that I was not; they were so confident in their judgment that my subjective insight into my psyche meant nothing. I had one therapist who tried to send me to the hospital when all I needed was someone to talk with me, to comfort me, to be human with me. 

Because the truth is that we all, patients and professionals alike, are only human. I have a coworker who told me that they view humanity as being made up of "frightened children". I like that. We are all just frightened children.

Insist that your providers treat you as an equal, because you are their equal and you deserve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment