Monday, September 12, 2016

Insight into Motivation #1: Hard work is easy if you are enjoying yourself

During my "lazy period", I thought that hard work would kill me. Honestly. I thought that limiting free time to a few hours per day (rather than having free time be almost the whole day) would be painful, a constant uphill race to nowhere. After all, the rare times when I forced myself to do work were torture.

Which is a lovely example of how you get what you expect. William James once said that "my experience is what I agree to attend to". When I sat down to work and set the timer, I was anticipating a painful experience of having to constantly readjust my focus, forcing my bingo brain to pay attention. 

I thought that I wasn't capable of doing more than 2-3 hours of work outside of class per day, so that was my reality for seven years. 

But the limit only existed in my head.

I tested the limit a week ago, inspired by a friend who studies all day, everyday. I thought that if he could do it, then maybe I could try. 

I found that when I opened up my mind to the possibility that I was indeed capable of studying an entire day, it wasn't so bad. There is a concept in physics that there is more friction involved in starting to move an object than in continuing to drag an already moving one. After some time of sitting at your desk looking over your notes, you will begin to face fewer distractions and experience less tension and resistance. Maybe not every time, but most times.

And you might discover that what you are doing is actually fun, maybe even more fun than browsing FaceBook. I fell in love with biology back in high school for a reason, and rediscovering that passion is exhilarating. The challenge of understanding, on a deep level, how the human body functions is very compelling. It's much easier to study for seven hours on a Sunday, when your exam isn't for another week, when learning the material is a reward in itself. 

The inverse of this is also true: if you absolutely dread doing something, you will do less of it less efficiently. 

If you want to motivate yourself, an effective method is to figure out why your assigned task brings you pain, and then rectify it. 

For me, the resistance came from both the belief that all work would be dreadful, and the nasty feelings of guilt that I associated with my failure to work hard (which inevitably came up whenever I attempted to get something done).

Discovering that the work wasn't so bad, along with realizing that I could forgive myself for my previous shortcomings, has helped my productivity immensely.

I also decreased the dose of my risperidone (with the approval and assistance of my doctor). This drug blocks the dopaminergic D2 receptor. Dopamine is involved in reward and pleasure, so you can imagine how dampening it can lead to motivational problems. You should never change your meds on your own, but if you take antipsychotics and you feel unmotivated, it might be worth talking to your doctor about decreasing the dose or finding another treatment option.

If you really want to be productive, you need to make life fun. I don't just mean rewarding yourself with chocolate after a day of hard work, or listening to music while you study to make it more fun. Those things can help, but what you really need to do is to live a high-dopamine lifestyle. Make your life as thrilling and pleasurable as you can. Exercise, get your blood pumping. Drink that extra cup of coffee. Eat that piece of cheesecake, unless you get a bigger jolt out of exercising self control, in which case don't eat the cheesecake. And play. Learn new things, sing in the car, call that friend you haven't spoken to in years. Live to the point where your soul catches fire and your mind can no longer keep up its deception that the world we live in is anything less than miraculous.

If you do this, you will probably find some fun in whatever it is that you need to do. If all that doesn't work, then you should consider delegating the work or choosing a different career path.

You can't cry your way to greatness, and you can't apathy your way there either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment